The learning of French provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for all pupils. Pupils develop communication and literacy skills that lay the foundation for future language learning. They develop linguistic competence, extend their knowledge of how language works and explore differences and similarities between French and English.
Our Key Stage 1 pupils are introduced to French through games, songs and nursery rhymes, which will expose them to basic colours, shapes and numbers and foster an interest in the French language.
Our Key Stage 2 pupils will move through a more structured programme of work which provides them with opportunities to:
- Engage in conversations; ask and answer questions
- Speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language
- Develop accurate pronunciation and intonation
- Present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- Appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes
- Broaden their vocabulary
- Describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing
- Understand basic grammar